Improving Services: Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
We believe that everyone benefits when healthcare professionals and families work together to improve care. Through a new project, we are:
- Informing the public and medical providers about ASD symptoms and access to care through web-based resources, workshops, and family events, in partnership with Pathfinders for Autism.
- Empowering families to be an equal and essential part of the healthcare team by promoting and supporting family engagement in quality improvement in healthcare for children with ASD.
- Supporting family leaders and pediatricians in working together on improvement teams called Learning Collaboratives, which will create the partnerships necessary to comprehensive and coordinated health care.
About the Project
The Parents’ Place of Maryland and the Office for Genetics and People with Special Health Care Needs (OGPSHCN) from the Maryland State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene are working to improve access to care for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other Developmental Disabilities (ASD/DD).
Through a three-year grant from the Health Resources Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, “Maryland State Implementation Grant for Improving Services for Maryland Children and Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other Developmental Disabilities” our aim is to:
- Increase awareness of signs and symptoms of autism spectrum disorders;
- Make services easier to use and better organized for families;
- Increase family involvement and family-professional partnerships; and
- Improve developmental screening and access to medical homes for children with ASD and their families.
Our project partners include the Maryland Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Pathfinders for Autism, and Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, and Children’s National Health Network, part of the Children’s National Health System.
For more information, contact Kseniya Rubejanskaya at email@example.com. Find out more information about project activities.