The Parents’ Place offers a variety of workshops for small or large groups, on site or by teleconference. See the information below for a listing of our workshops and for how to schedule a workshop for your group. For a current calendar of our workshops, click here.
Our workshops are presented free of charge to parents of children with disabilities. Fees are not charged for professionals who attend parent workshops.
Fees are charged for professional training. Please call 410-768-9100 for more information.
Our workshops can be scheduled individually or in any combination, and can be arranged for any geographic region of the State. If you are interested in a topic other than the ones listed here, we will design a workshop to meet your specific interests and needs.
If an organization or parent group, representing a specific disability, sponsors one of our workshops, we do request that enrollment be open to any parent who may wish to attend.
You can arrange to have one or more workshops presented in your area by contacting us.
Parent’s Rights/Special Education Process
- Individualized Education
- Ten Basics in Special Education
- Key Changes in IDEA 2004
- IDEA’s Discipline Provisions
- Extended School Year Services
- Least Restrictive Environment
- Effective Transition Plans
- Life After High School
- Putting the Positive in the IEP (Addressing Challenging Behaviors in the IEP)
- Effective Partnerships
- Back to School – Putting Your Ducks in a Row
- What To Do When Things Go Wrong
- Complaint Resolution Process
- Writing Effective IEPs
- Finding Community Resources
- Choosing a Health Care Plan
- Choosing and Getting Services from Your Managed Care Organization
- Appealing Health Insurance Denials
- Understanding Maryland Medicaid, MCHP, Waivers
- Private Health Insurance- Making it Work for You
- Working with Your Child’s Doctor
- Accessing Mental Health Services
- Show Me the Money!
- Emergency Preparedness for Children with Disabilities
- Overview of PPMD
- Raising a Child with an Emotional Disability
- Making Connections – Starting and Maintaining Support Groups
- Understanding ADHD
- Is Your Child A Target of Bullying Behavior?
- Working with Families
- Managing the Maze: Record Keeping
Workshops in Spanish, Korean, and Mandarin
- Basic Rights in Special Education
- Preparing for Your IEP Meeting
- Resolving Conflicts in Special Education