- This event has passed.
Somerset County, “Success at Home – Practical Strategies to Implement at Home with your Child with Autism” Brown Bag Workshop
November 2, 2017 @ 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
Presenter: Dr. Sharon Willey-Spurrier, PsyD, BCBA, Ocean Front Counseling
Thursday, November 2, 2017 • 11:30am – 1:30pm
Somerset County Public School Board Office
7982A Tawes Campus Dr
Westover, MD 21871
Children with autism often have behavioral challenges at home, especially during times of transition, changes in the family, and going from home, to school, and the community. Parents often work very hard for consistency, but the challenge of day to day life, can often lead to exhaustion and frustration. This workshop will provide practical ideas to implement to provide consistency, and strategies to prevent some typical behavioral issues from occurring. Participants will leave the session with practical ideas, handouts, and strategies they can take home with them and immediately begin to implement.
Participants will learn:
– How to identify times when challenging behaviors may occur
– Preventative strategies to implement to reduce potential challenging behaviors from occurring
– The basics of effective reinforcement strategies
– Identifying potential triggers and situations that may lead to potential challenging behaviors
– How to help your child be successful at home, at school, and in the community
– Self-care for parents in the midst of exhausting days.
* PPMD Event